ICEP Selection Criteria
2016 ACDA INTERNATIONAL CONDUCTORS EXCHANGE PROGRAM
SELECTION CRITERIA AND APPLICATION GUIDELINES
The ACDA International Conductors Exchange Program (ICEP) was inaugurated in 2010 with a highly successful exchange with Cuba coinciding with the 2012 division conferences. In 2014, this extraordinary program will work with China and our partner, the China Chorus Association, to provide once again the opportunity to create meaningful international collaborations that will coincide with all seven division conferences. To this end, we have established an ongoing exchange program of potential leaders from the U.S. choral community and their international counterparts.
In 2016, ACDA will host fourteen choral conductors from South Korea who will travel to the U.S. to be official guests at the seven biannual division conferences. In turn, South Korea will host conductors from the U.S. It is our intent that each visit will last approximately ten to fourteen days. Host countries will provide transportation to and from all venues, conference registration fees, housing for the duration of their stay, all, meals, and additional activities for all visiting conductors.
Two visiting South Korean choral conductors will be featured at each of our 2016 ACDA division conferences. It is our hope that the selected U.S. and South Korean conductors will be present and able to host one another in their respective countries. Therefore, we will work to make sure the travel dates allow for this opportunity. The location and dates for each ACDA division conference are listed below:
EASTERN: February 10-13 Boston, Massachusetts
WESTERN: February 24-27 Pasadena, California
CENTRAL: February 24-27 Chicago, Illinois
SOUTHERN: March 9-12 Chatanooga, Tennessee
NORTHWESTERN: March 3-6 Seattle, Washington
SOUTHWESTERN: March 7-10 Kansas City, Missouri
NORTH CENTRAL: February 17-20 Sioux Falls, South Dakota
The objectives of the ACDA International Conductors Exchange Program are:
I. To create connections between potential leaders of the U.S. choral community with counterparts across the globe.
II. To forge stronger relationships between the American Choral Directors Association and choral associations across the world
III. To raise the visibility and leadership role of the American Choral Directors Association in the global choral community.
Candidates will be requested to:
1) Is a current member of ACDA;
2) Is an active choral conductor in a professional (remunerative) position;
3) Has completed at least a master’s degree;
4) Has served in a volunteer or an elected position at the State, Regional, or National level of ACDA;
5) Their choirs have demonstrated a level of choral excellence at least approaching the standard of choirs customarily heard at a State or Division ACDA conferences;
6) Exhibits some level of human understanding, tact, and cross-cultural sensitivity;
7) Minimum of 5 years and a maximum of 20 years as full time in the profession.
8) The candidates should reflect a wide diversity of interests and accomplishments (church, high school, community, elementary, et al.). The ICEP Review Committee will consider a diversity of conductors (e.g. not all from one setting, such as Higher Education).
Candidates should expect to provide information relative to national background checks, as necessary in conformation to U.S. Homeland Security regulations and other government regulations.
It may be helpful, although not essential, for candidates to be fluent, or even marginally comfortable, in the host country’s language. Finalists will be encouraged to learn basic phrases in the language of the host country.
Candidates who have not previously had a great deal of international conducting experience or opportunities traveling abroad will receive higher consideration.
The candidates should reflect a wide diversity of interests and accomplishments (church, high school, community, elementary, et al.). The Review Committee will consider a diversity of conductors (e.g. not all from one setting, such as Higher Education).
Application Form must be completed by July 1, 2016.